Once you buy the house, I advise you to have an electrical company, such as Housedepot, have your electrical devices checked, and provide you with a recommendation, or even bring the electrical devices up to ESA (Electrical Safety Standard) code. The things which we look at, are:
1.Is your panel in good shape and are they labeled?
2.Is there a main ground wire to the panel and main water meter? And
3.Is there a ground wire(bonding wire)between the gas line and water meter?
4.Is there a breaker which are overloaded?
5.Is there any exposed wire in your house?
6. Repair any broken outlet plates or frayed cords that reveal exposed wiring.
7. Do you handle plugs properly?
8. When unplugging an electrical appliance, always pull the base of the plug, not the cord.
9.Do you have GFCI in your kitchen and bathrooms?
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) are special electrical outlets or breakers designed to shut off power in time to prevent serious shock. They are available at any home hardware store and should be installed and used near sinks and outdoor plugs.
10. Is your smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector working?
Make sure you have a smoke detector in every level of your house. You should change the batteries every six months.
11. Do you have any overloaded outlets?
When too many plugs are put into one electrical outlet, it can result in heat building up in the wires, which can cause fires.
12. Are your electric cords in good condition?
Watch for frayed cords or loose fitting plugs. You can receive an electrical shock from exposed wires.
13. Are your electrical cords free of obstructions?
Cords that run under rugs, are badly kinked, or are too close to appliances that get hot, can cause fires.
14. Do you have any appliances near water?
15. Electricity and water do not mix. Avoid operating appliances like kettles or hair dryers near water. Always dry your hands and make sure there are no puddles on the floor before using an electrical appliance.
16.Are your electrical outlets and appliances childproof?
Children are naturally curious so be aware of dangling cords or exposed plugs. Protect young children by using plastic safety covers on all your electrical outlets and keep appliances away from counter edges.