Service and Panel Upgrades

Service panels have limitations on available space to add circuits or they have fuses (some insurance carriers will not insure a property that has fuses).

Some old panels have had circuits added and have maxed out (most old panels are maxed out when the original construction was completed). Many old panels are of inferior quality and simply stop working and need to be replaced.

An electric service upgrade is often recommended or required to increase the capacity of the existing electrical service. With all the new appliances and technical devices we now have in our homes, we find that older homes just don’t have sufficient power available to handle the increased demand. Therefore, a “service change” is required.
When I need to upgrade my panel:

  1. when the service panel Is 60A, for residential houses, by law they must be changed to either 100A or 200A, depending on the size of the house, number of kitchens or even an electric spa
  2. when the service panel is 100, but either too old or fuse type, it is recommended to change it
    a. due to oxidization of contact between fuse and panel
    b. the fuse may be mixed up, as for example 20 A fuse maybe mixed up with 15 A fuse, thus there is a fire hazard
    c. aluminum connections to the panel.
    d. space limitations for the breakers
  3. You need 200 A panel with service upgrade , due to either size of the house or number of kitchens you have