High Demand Circuits: 240 Volts

240 Volt Outlets

What is a 240 volt outlet?

The outlet most people think of is the three prong 120 volt outlet which uses two 120 Volt wires and a neutral wire and use one phase of your electrical service.  240 Volt outlets are different.  Both 120 Volt wires are used along with a neutral wire in three prong plugs and more recently there has been the addition of a ground wire which is used in the newer four prong plugs.  Appliances which require a great deal of power or large motor driven appliances run more efficiently using 240 Volts to supply the power.  This equipment has a different type of plug which allows them to connect to a 240 Volt outlet.

240 volt


Many large appliances require 240 volt outlets. You may need to install a 240 volt outlet if you purchase one of the following items:

  • Stoves with electric ovens, ranges, and cooktops
  • Furnaces
  • Clothes dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Air conditioners, both conventional and ductless
  • Heat Pumps
  • Garage power tools
  • Electric vehicle charging stations

Identifying 240 Volt Outlets

240 volt outlets are bigger with and rounded tops with three or four holes depending on the outlet’s age. Four prong outlets have an “L” on the bottom, two holes in the sides, and a single, half circle hole on the top.  Three prong outlets have a hole like a backward “L” on the bottom and two diagonal holes on the sides.

Some 240 outlets have three prongs and others have four.

240 volt outlets are now using four prongs instead of three which they used to use.  The three prong outlets contain a neutral wire and two live wires.  The new fourth prong is a ground which provides protection against electric shock.  Appliances can be rewired from old three prong plugs to new four prong plugs to work with the new outlets.

HouseDepot can install service and rewire 240 volt outlets.  You most definitely don’t want to give this job to anyone other than a trained Master Electrician.

Sometimes your entire Electrical Infrastructure can’t Manage

HouseDepot can also do 100 Amp and 200 Amp Service and Panel Upgrades.  You can’t get this done by your local handyman.  You need a  trained, experienced Master Electrician.  You also need to have the work inspected and approved by the ESA, the Electrical Safety Authority.  You need HouseDepot to do it right.