Service and Panel UpgradesService panels have limitations on available space to add circuits or they have fuses (some insurance carriers will not insure a property that has fuses). Some old panels have had circuits added and have maxed out (most old panels are maxed out when the original construction was completed). Many old panels are of inferior quality and simply stop working and need to be replaced. An electric service upgrade is often recommended or required to increase the capacity of the existing electrical service. With all the new appliances and technical devices we now have in our homes, we find that older homes just don’t have sufficient power available to handle the increased demand. Therefore, a “service change” is required.
When Do I need to Upgrade my Panel?
- when the service panel Is 60A, for residential houses, by law they must be changed to either 100A or 200A, depending on the size of the house, number of kitchens or even an electric spa
- when the service panel is 100, but either too old or fuse type, it is recommended to change it a. due to oxidization of contact between fuse and panel b. the fuse may be mixed up, as for example 20 A fuse maybe mixed up with 15 A fuse, thus there is a fire hazard c. aluminium connections to the panel. d. space limitations for the breakers
- You need 200 A panel with service upgrade , due to either size of the house or number of kitchens you have
- If you wish to install an Electric Vehicle Charging Station you will need to upgrade your service and your panel to 200 Amps to be able to properly supply it with power.
When do you need to Upgrade your Service?
You should note that all Electrical Service Upgrades require a corresponding Electrical Panel Upgrade.
- If you have a 60 Amp Service this will not power power hungry devices properly and you end up with flickering lights or brownouts.
- Installing an Electric Vehicle Charging Station, this requires a 200 Amp Service.
- Sudden large demands for power such as equipping a wood shop with a full set of power tools.
- When you want your power system modernized to new home standards which means you want a 200 Amp service.
Why Choose HouseDepot?
All service and panel upgrades must be inspected by the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) to make sure they are up to code. If there is a single defect found the entire inspection has to be done again in full, taking the time of the inspector and the electrician as well as putting a black mark in the electrician’s record. This can be a rather costly process. HouseDepot Service and Panel upgrades are performed by licensed electricians under the supervision of a Master Electrician and done right the first time, in the very rare case an electrical defect exists it is corrected free of charge as all work is guaranteed a minimum of three months giving you peace of mind knowing that things will always be done right the first time. Call Mark at (416)-822-9030 or email email@example.com to talk about service.